Sunday, August 21, 2016

Where have you been?



I love this whole album (Get Born) from JET.

It starts off very lively with 3 fast songs, then it simmers down a lil with Look What You've Done, and then from there it's 1 fast song, 2 slow songs, 2 fast songs, 1 slow song, 1 fast song, and 2 slow songs, including the last song on the album, Timothy.

I always wondered what this song meant, and apparently it's about a band member's older brother who died as a child. :(

This is a really slow song but I kinda just realised how amazing the instrumentation is. The reverb, and echoey sounds, and the keyboard riff in the background that sounds like a spaceship... wow. I always wondered why the song sounded so spacey and I just realised today it was cos of that riff.

And such simple yet powerful lyrics... it kinda sounds like Julian Casablancas, now that I think of it. Both in terms of songwriting and vocals. Although Julian's voice would probably be muffled and much less prominent in the mix as compared to the rest of the instruments...

No comments: