Thursday, July 17, 2014

For Baby L

Woke up this morning and first thing I did was kill a baby lizard on accident. I felt so bad :(

Literally the first thing I did. I hadn't even brushed my teeth and I got up and went to the living room to open the window and there was a baby lizard on the glass, webbed feet employing van der Waals' forces to hold on to the almost frictionless glass...

Instantly I reverted back to being a kid and started opening and closing the window just to freak out the poor thing, and partly because I didn't want it to crawl into the house, and it looked like it wanted to do just that.

Then I got bored, wandered off to find some other aimless crap to do, came back again and saw Baby L was gone from where I'd last seen it, so I opened and closed the window one final time to spook it again.

There was no sickening crunch or a sinking feeling, just a flash of brown like something had fallen from the window, and I looked at the windowsill and there it was- Baby L in his final moments, his neck red, webbed toes up in the air.

Rest in peace, my friend. I'm sorry you had to go like that. May you be reborn as a more fortunate animal, where your death would mean a little something more to more than a few souls, and possibly spark a couple of eulogies or jail time for a fellow being...

No comments: