Sunday, July 13, 2014

Walking disaster

(Warning: Mostly a music-related post)

Oh gawd I've been listening to Thank You & Goodnight by Tonight Alive for ages without realising Mark Hoppus was featured in it. I just kinda assumed it was one of the TA guys singing the second verse. I am terrible.

Anyway, thoughts on Tonight Alive ahead.

TA is one of those bands that I listen to a lot but I've never really considered them one of my favourite bands. I love their stuff and all but it's just catchy. They don't really put out many deep, heartfelt songs that make me fall head over heels for them. (Like Brand New's stuff. Brand New is one of those bands that you'd want to keep very close to your heart and never let anyone hear about them)

Their songs are definitely fun, relatable and extremely likeable. But I feel like that's not always a good thing, because it makes them nothing more than just a fad, or a trend, and if they don't try to come up with something classic, they'll always be lumped in with the whole fresh-faced pop-punk band phase thing.

I think Tonight Alive's looks, in general, were what got them signed in the first place. They're all young and ridiculously good-looking, and I think the label probably recognised their marketability.

But the more I listened to TA, the more I kind of realised how talented these guys were. The drummer, Matt Best, stood out the most, for me. His drumming is so clean! I absolutely love his drumming. He's probably my favourite drummer, right after Rian Dawson and of course, Travis Barker. (Ok, I know there are tons more of great drummers out there, but let's just narrow it down to this 'scene'.) Yeah, that's how underrated I think he is.

Then I listened more, and now I kind of feel like the band's great on a whole because everyone's so talented. I just think they should try other things and not stick to pop punk, because it's a great genre- it's one of my favourite genres- but it's going to die out someday. I'm sure there must be other kinds of music they'd love to try.

I think my only problem with the band, other than the lack of originality, is Jenna's voice. I'm really sorry to say it, because I love her and I think she's super gorgeous and has an amazing personality, but she tends to be pitchy. I've seen comments and watched their live videos. Her tone is flawless and she's very cut out to do what she does, but she could use a little work on her pitch. Still, she's very charismatic and judging from their videos, I'd say she's made a lot of improvement as a frontwoman.

And yehhh. That's all.

Oh, it's 12.00am, happy 'official' birthday Lynchua!!! Love you many many, don't think you'll see this actually haha but I hope you have a really awesome year because you deserve it and I hope you liked my letter!!

It's almost mid-July already, this is so scary :(

I have so many mixed feelings about starting school again, but let's save that for another blog post.

Good night all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi lyn chua saw it