Ironic title because it's raining cats and dogs now but it's from my favourite Saosin song so who cares.
I'm at Starbucks and the interior is actually really pretty and through the glass you can see the rain and it's freezing in here because I neglected to bring a jacket.
I also really need to pee, but no one here looks like they can be trusted with my laptop.
Just finished watching the movie My Girl.
(SPOILER ALERT)
It's an amazing movie. Makes me wish I grew up in the nineties. I was trying so hard not to cry when Thomas Jay died. He's played by the very talented Macaulay Culkin. I think it's really sad what happened to Culkin in real life too. Child actors never have it easy.
Anyway, I just wanted to address something that's kind of been weighing on my mind for some time now:
Phones.
Are we too attached to our mobile devices? I guess it's a touchy topic, especially since it's a habit with most of my own close friends, but I feel like people shouldn't be overly comfortable with whipping out their mobile phones when they're out with other friends.
I don't know why but I feel bad if I use my phone in front of friends. I tend to put it in my bag once we meet, and if I happen to take it out later it's just to check for texts, and if I do have texts, I just read them and then put the phone away again to reply them later.
Admittedly, I am not a phone person. I don't like texting, and I can take forever to reply the simplest texts. If you want to chat, I'd rather you called me. I find chat-texting really awkward, especially if we're not close. (probably one of the many reasons why I'm still single hahahaha)
But anyway, I guess it's just a pet peeve.
It feels like this: If you're on your phone constantly while you're out with me, then I must be boring you.
Or: If you'd rather talk to other people while you're out with me, then why go out with me in the first place?
I often find myself in a situation where everyone at the table is busy scrolling through social media pages or replying texts, so I just look elsewhere or my mind wanders off, and finally they look up and say, lol what are you doing? Ha.
Of course, there are also a handful of people I know who are polite enough to say, "wait, sorry," when they do whatever they have to do on the phone, and then put the device away so they can pay full attention to you once they're done.
It sucks when someone just seems half-with you, and their other half is somewhere else with another person or even a bunch of other people.
Even if we're just sitting in silence, there's peacefulness, which is kind of broken when people whip out their phones. It's also a lot harder to strike up a conversation if people are on their phones, rather than if you're just sitting in comfortable silence.
Call me traditional, old-fashioned or lame, but I guess I just feel if I'm forking out time to be with you physically and mentally, then maybe you should do the same for me, too.
Yeh, that's all. Hope nobody took any offense at this
No comments:
Post a Comment