Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The alien song

Omg done with the second last day of school!! Wearing the same clothes tomorrow as I did for the first day of school as my own private joke... ha ha ha ok sorry

Also basically done with LAG1201, HELYERRR. Well I'm actually still left with one lecture tomorrow but we'll just be getting back papers and grades.

I know I keep saying it but I'm really in disbelief over how fast our first semester flew by. Most of my finals will be over in less than two weeks. It's crazy. And lucky me, I finish on the 28th which is considered pretty early, heh.

It's been a good week of getting out of lectures and tutorials and turning to the nearest friend to say, "Omg, that was the last lecture/tutorial!!"

Tomorrow will be the last time I'm having my weekly thursday Subway lunch at UTown too! Yes, I have Subway once a week alone at UTown. So unhealthy, but it's convenient and hey, the coffee is good. I always walk out feeling overly-hyped for my next lesson- an EL tutorial that, for some reason, is made up of 90% Psychology majors and seriously, Psych majors have the straightest faces.

Anyways, this was really the best semester of school I've had in a long while (maybe since primary school?). I really enjoyed learning and there's honestly not much studying to do because the tests and assignments come and go so fast, as compared to in secondary school or JC where you spend two or four years in a competition to see who can memorize everything in the textbooks.

Maybe I'll do a module review after my exams (damn step right, year 1 semester 1 do module review already)

Oh yes, and I met SJ, Bryan and Weiqiang on Monday for dinner after the draggy SC review lecture (during which I studied for german and Lianne read and showed me Stomp articles)

On the way there in the train, for some reason I couldn't unlock my phone for a while. It's been annoyingly problematic recently, like the battery dies after I reach 40% or so. So once I managed to unlock it, I memorized SJ's number, just in case.

Turns out it was real lucky I did that, because the battery level suddenly dropped from 40% to 1% in a second and my phone died on the spot. My face in the train was like O__O

Felt so lost without knowing exactly where they were. Only other option was either to borrow a phone or to go home (which would have been a waste since I was already there), so I approached a lady in her 20s, thinking that people closer to my own age might be more likely to empathize. But she turned me down with a very blatant cover-up, "Oh, my phone is running out of battery too."

Went to two older women maybe in their early 40s. One of them just ignored me and the other frowned suspiciously at me and said no.

I was like :(((

Finally approached a guy in his 30s who was standing around and using his phone, presumably waiting for someone, and he hesitated for a second before he said ok. Yay!

Spent forever on his phone because I couldn't remember the exact number. Kept dialing the wrong numbers. I could feel my face turning red

Finally I got it right and Sj picked up. Was so relieved to hear her voice hahaha. After a rather funny convo telling her to "stay there ah" "don't move ah", I handed the phone back to the guy who was by then smiling in amusement.

So embarrassing :(

I think it's sad that we've become so jaded, although I guess it can't be helped. And despite what social science has taught me, I can't help wondering if gender had a part to play. Do men tend to be more helpful than women because of social pressure to behave 'gentlemanly'? (I have actually kind of noticed that from separate incidents) Or is it because of my own gender? Would the guy have turned me down if I were a 19-year-old male instead?

Hrmm

No comments: